VOLVO-POWERED 240Z ON A BUDGET

(Feb 22 2011, 04:07 PM)

1991. The guy that i bought it from said that it would take too much Datsun 240z for $500. It was a rolling chassis, and been sitting since

After a year out of actually driving and building cars, I bought a 1972 money to actually get this car to be street worthy, but I knew otherwise.

I figured that I could get the car running under its own power for $1000 (including the cost of the car) and in a month.

And really, a car isn’t a daily driver until you gut it.

Before the month was out I did indeed have the car running under its own power and all for $1078.

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqB_6PKDJQs

Next couple months had wheels, rattle can paint, lip, and flares.

The next few months were spent installing triple Weber dcoe 40s, header, exhaust, 240sx Megan coilovers, TTT RLCAs...

...and gutting my doors.

Next few months were spent getting a cheap seat, removing the heater, installing a 240sx dash, along with other stuff that I forgot.

Then in August I decided that I was tired of the L24, and wanted to try something different. SR20s and KA24s are old news; V8s are fun, but not really my style; and RB26s are expensive, so I figured I’d do something no one has done before, install a Volvo b230.16v.T (’94 8v 940 block, ’91 16v 740GLE head, 15g turbo, Ford T-5 tranny) into my Z. It is just as powerful as an SR, more reliable than a KA, all parts could be found in the junkyard, and I could sell all of my engine parts to buy everything for the swap. So it would be essentially free.

With the help of my local Volvo guru, Josh at YoshiFab, I started to turn my pile of metal into an engine.

Got a bit lazy and didn’t work on the car for a bit, and finally got back around to it late January. Then had a friend help me make some engine mounts and we installed it in the car.

Now it is just the process of re-wiring the chassis and engine, mounting the tranny; making a new driveshaft and exhaust; and deciding whether or not a V-mount is really worth the act of turning my hood into an F’nF hood.

No matter what happens, I only spent a year getting the car from rolling to running, running to awesome, and awesome to ridiculous for under $6000.

Full build thread:

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=readersrides&action=display&thread=73685

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/86623-crazyoctopus-1972-240z-build-up-long-first-post/

More photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/crazyoctopus/collections/72157623019151162/

 -Thank you kindly

Zach Zupancic, the Crazy Octopus

 

 

Source: speedhunters.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...