The Option Magazine stand this year was dedicated exclusively to the R35 with some of the county's most respected tuners displaying their latest demonstration cars...
To get started with our extended Tokyo Auto Salon coverage I thought I'd get things rolling with a post dedicated to the Nissan GT-R. Just over three years from its Japanese launch in December 2007, the R35 has been met with nothing but praise from both the media and happy customers. The apparently "unmodifiable" new-generation GT-R, as Nissan would have liked us to believe back in 2007, has turned out to be quite the tuner-friendly car, able to crank out 600 HP with only a few minor upgrades. But now, thanks to continuous R&D by parts makers, things are really looking pretty good with lots of cars moving towards the 800 to 1000 HP range. Let's take a look at what TAS had in store for the san-go GT-R.
...as well as parts.
The cars were nicely arranged around the most imposing GT-R of them all, the Sumo Power FIA GT number 23 R35. This is the same car we saw last month at the Nismo Festival and the actual development and test car Nismo keeps in Japan. Nice choice of stickers...
With the HKS Kansai Service R35 getting more and more extreme and tuned towards on-track performance, the guys from Nara also had a second street-tuned version.
The big
Tanabe-san of
I always thought the R35 is quite the wide car, but I guess not everyone shares my sentiments.
...wearing a full body conversion following the sort of design we have all come to expect from Abflug. It might not be for everyone but it sure makes the GT-R that much more imposing.
On the mechanical side of things the
...but now the VR38 seems to have been worked on quite heavily with the stock turbos being replaced by a rather big pair...
...of top-mounted Blitz units. All of this should be good for 1000 HP, enough power to give Nomuken infinite tire-shredding potential.
Niikura-san at
On display next to the car was Mine's complete VR38, a motor built for response and unsurpassed in gear acceleration thanks to lighter engine components and an original turbocharger kit.
Every time I see the Sumo Power car I just can't believe nobody out there has attempted to create a body kit that emulates its design! Someone please get on this!
The Option Magazine area was one of the busiest displays of TAS, which is quite impressive as there was only one race queen in the whole place!
The
...which I believe is the whole point of the car as it isn't exactly understated!
I still think the
Their new intake plenum, which not only improves flow to each of the six cylinders but also carries a higher volume of air, perfect for engines running upgraded turbos.
They even had a second demo car, proving just how much Japanese tuners are leaning towards the new-gen GT-R.
You really need to look at it from the side to get the full impact of its girth!
This thing is competing with the Rauh Welt Porsches in the big-butt awards!
The demo car that I
On the Tommy Kaira stand I spotted their demo car which seems to be pretty much the same as last year, except for LED daytime running lights and BMW-like angel eyes. Literally "light tuning" ...sorry I couldn't help myself!
We've already seen the
...a ready-to-race package that I'm sure will appeal to lots of aspiring privateers and teams out there. Super Taikyu might get even more exciting this year if this car actually meets all of the regulations.
Team
What would the Tokyo Auto Salon be without the presence of
...that help add that true Top Secret look. He had two GT-Rs on display, this street tuned car...
...and the more extreme wangan-spec gold demo car. Thanks to reworked ball-bearing turbos the car will soon be capable of running 900 HP...
...ready to begin shooting for some serious top speeds.
And finally the
The car was used to develop the HKS GT800 kit that is now available to the public, nothing short of a work of art when it comes to packaging with its symmetrical turbine set up that allows optimal positioning of the big external wastegates.
That's it for the R35 GT-Rs. More to come from TAS soon!
-Dino Dalle Carbonare